The Průhonice Park with its extensive gene pool collection of domestic and introduced species is part of the Institute of Botany. Průhonice Park Maintenance, a separate department of the Institute, takes care of the park’s collection.
In 1885 in the places where the natural beauty of the rugged Botič Stream valley intermingles with the diversity of the forest, meadow and rocky biotopes, Count Arnošt Emanuel Silva-Tarouca established an English natural landscape park, today known as the Průhonice Park. These were the peak times for natural landscape style in park design.
The Prague town reserve, UNESCO-listed since 1992, includes the Průhonice park on the city´s outskirts based on the UNESCO committee´s decision at its recent meeting in Brazil (August 2010).
Reflection of the castle in the pond in the Průhonice Park. Foto © D. Püschel